Homeowners in Chattanooga, Tennessee, know that regular AC maintenance is the best way for their cooling system run smoothly and last longer. However, an unexpected malfunction is possible, and that’s the last thing you want during summer. If your air conditioner breaks down, call Dalton Heating and Air for efficient and lasting solutions.
Keeping the Heat Out
As the weather heats up, HVAC service personnel tend to be busier than usual and may not always be immediately available to repair your air conditioner. You have to know what to do to relieve your family’s discomfort and help everyone survive the heat until your air conditioner is repaired.
- During the day, keep blinds and drapes closed or angled appropriately to avoid letting in sunlight and, therefore, more heat.
- Open windows during the evening or early morning to allow cooler air to enter.
- Avoid using appliances that produce heat. Try to do laundry or wash dishes in the evening or early morning.
- Turn off lights or equipment that are not being used.
Keeping Your Cool
There are several steps you can take to keep your family comfortable until your system is up and running again:
- Ensure family members drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Avoid consuming coffee, tea, alcohol, and spicy foods.
- Wear loose, breathable clothing.
- Avoid intense physical exercise.
- Take advantage of your ceiling fan and portable fans to create cross-breezes. Alternatively, consider portable air conditioning options.
- Go to the beach or pool to cool off.
- Take a trip to the library or the mall.
Above all, watch for signs of overheating. Don’t ignore symptoms like nausea, dizziness, headaches or fatigue. Heat stroke is a serious matter, and you have to be even more vigilant if there are infants or elderly persons present.
Use these tips to help you and your family cope with the heat when your air conditioner breaks down. At the first sign of a malfunction, contact the air conditioning specialists at Dalton Heating & Air at 706-619-2799. You can count on us for expert repairs and new air conditioner installations.
Image provided by Bigstock